From: Don Barnes <don@cellarideas.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: Piano Hinges -- Carbon vs. Aluminum?
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 21:08:33 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
For what it's worth, I'm a huge fan of the Carbon hinge. Moreover, John Barrett's honesty and integrity are as high as anyone would hope for. The main reason I went with and support my point of view are the ease of de-cowling, clean lines, and strength of this option. A picture of my plane was featured as the "mystery plane" and the odd bulge reported is actually a reflection of my wing.

I did have some trouble early on with getting the pins to slide in as the fit is tight due in part to the curved cowl and some paint getting in during the build process. This was corrected by John sending me some smaller diameter replacement pins and a religious practice of waxing up the pins with parafin wax before re-installing the pins. (They slide in much easier now).

By using the carbhinge system, you'll never see the rivets under paint as the clear shrinks up with time and by using hysol to bond, you can be assured they'll stay bonded. I did do a 2-bid lay-up over the installation, but that was more for peace of mind.

Don

Notice no bulge in this shot taken by Chris Luvara of  www.stickandrudderphoto.com
Image
8DB_gallery_3_lrg.jpg