From: Rod Pharis <rpharis@teamimc.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: L360 winglets
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 08:59:33 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
There is absolutely no question that winglets work if properly designed and correctly installed.  The net drag is reduced and other significant performance improvements are realized accordingly.  Observe the wide spread adoption by knowledgable designers of virtually all modern airliners, business class jets, advanced amateur-built kit aircraft and even high-performance competition gliders.

The only limitation is optimum design and accurate installation.  I saw a new Legacy on the ramp at Lancair, a couple of years ago, that had winglets made by Legacy Innovations that were cockeyed and obviously unsymmetrical.  Tim Ong gave that one as an example of winglets that didn't perform well.  I'm not surprised that particular one didn't fly well, but that was not a conclusive example.  I was later informed by Ron Jones, Legacy Innovations President, that the builder declined Ron's offer to let him use the Legacy Innovations fixtures to easily and accurately position the winglets.   The builder told Ron that he could do to visually without the bother.  Wrong!!  Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.  I believe that Legacy Innovations winglets work well, and I am going to install them properly on my Legacy along with their other speed mods.

Rod Pharis