From: Bryan Wullner <vonjet@gmail.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] paint questions
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 20:39:28 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Clear coat. I did it and love it. Looks like its wet.  Cons of clear. I have chipped some areas and you cant really repair it to like new. At least thats what everyone tells me.
Non-skid paint. My friends lancair has it and it looks nice. Its hard to tell its there.

Or 3M clear bra material. Its not non slip but I am having a company custom cut a shape for me and putting it over my stub wing in the area where all the traffic is.  This way it looks like my paint job but actually protects the paint with an invisible layer of plastic.

Bryan

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Janie & Ed Smith <2luv2fly@cox.net> wrote:

A couple of questions have come up that I would appreciate
input from the list.

Pro's and Cons:

1.Clearcoat

2. Wingwalk or non-skid paint.

Skip,

We used Dupont Aviation Finishes, with the basecoat / clearcoat.  Unlike some of the automotive basecoats, the Dupont system has a catalyzed basecoat.  We buffed the wings after clearcoat and then masked off the wingwalk area and scuffed the area with scotchbrite.  We then mixed the non-skid material (white) in with the clearcoat and rolled the mixture on with a close-napped roller that is normally used to apply adhesive.  The results worked out very well.  Another neat touch we did was apply a Lancair logo mask in the middle of the area and then pulled the mask after we had rolled the mixture.  Result is a shiny Lancair logo in the wingwalk area with non-skid all around.  You just need to remember not to keep rolling the area over and over..... do it a couple of times and leave it alone!

Hope this helps,

Ed Smith
N9JE
Chesapeake, VA