From: Tom Gourley <tom.gourley@verizon.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: spike suppresion diodes
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 19:44:17 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Just as a clarification - the "spike suppression diodes" do not protect the electrical system from high voltage spikes; they protect the switched device, which in this case is the solenoid coil of the relay being turned off, and the switch itself.  The coil really doesn't care, and the switch is designed to tolerate the resulting arc.  The normal wiring (I'm no good at putting graphics in an email so I'll do it "verbally.") Goes from the battery and all your expensive electronics to the switch, to the relay coil, and to ground(return).  The high voltage spike exists only between the switch and relay coil, no where else.

Gary is correct.  When current to the relay coil is interrupted the inductance of the coil will cause a voltage spike at the coil.  How big depends on the inductance of the coil and the amount of current that was flowing when the switch was opened.  Whether or not the switch will tolerate this depends on the switch.  Personally I think a diode across the coil is a good idea, just be sure it's installed the right way.  I don't see the need for anything fancier than a diode, something like a 1N540x (where x is 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8).  If you want to protect larger parts of your electrical system against voltage transients you will need something fancier than a diode.

Tom Gourley