From: <rwolf99@aol.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: Wheelwell Sealer
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 21:42:06 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
I used Jeffco fuel tank sealer for the bottom of the wheel well.  This is where "stuff" would puddle and I did not want it to soak into the composite material.  I used just a single brushed-on coat, not a double coat like in the fuel tanks.  You can't really see it unless you really jam your head up in there or use an inspection mirror.

The only part you can really see is the outer face of the cockpit closeout rib.  On this I used Zolatone.  No primer required and it's a pebbly finish so if you don't clean it really well you can't tell.  At least that's the theory.  My plane hasn't flown yet, but it looks good in the garage!

I intend to have my painter paint the inside of the gear doors, as these are plainly visible when the airplane is parked.

I did not paint the underside of the top skin.  That's protected from UV exposure so it doesn't need paint.  Maybe if I was building one of those ultra-heavy Grand Champion showplanes ... but I'm not.  I have seen some drop dead gorgeous airplanes and I have been astounded at how much they weigh.  I don't expect mine will be the lightest in the fleet but it won't be the heaviest, either.

No offense meant to those with beautiful and heavy airplanes, and kudos to those of you with beautiful *and* light airplanes.  We all set our own priorities -- that's what homebuilding is all about!

- Rob Wolf
Lancair 360 in progress