From: Frederick Moreno <frederickmoreno@bigpond.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: FW: Glareshield Cover/Options?
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 21:42:06 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

My original polyester melted  and I switched to Flat black ultrasuede which has no burns after a year.

Peter Hebert

Ultrasuede is a modified polyurethane-based fiber system for clothing.  A similar product has been developed specially formulated for automobiles, both for upholstery (cloth backed for toughness) and for panels such as glare shields where no fabric backing is necessary.  It has much better UV resistance, toughness, and clean ability than Ultrasuede.  You use spray adhesive to put it on.

The automotive stuff is called Alcantara, produced in Italy for the upscale cars in Europe, and available in small quantities from a fabric shop in Florida.

I can not find the name of the shop but it was my source for upholstery, headliners, side panels, and black for the glare shield on my Lancair IV.  The black is very flat black, virtually no light reflected.  Works great for the glare shield.

The corporate web site (in English) is

http://www.alcantara.com/en_US/

I suggest you contact them to find the name of the retailer in Florida who was the only outlet I could find selling  small quantities.  Their old web site provided this information, but not the new one.

Fred Moreno