From: Bill Wade <super_chipmunk@roadrunner.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Cable Swage Tool
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 20:16:10 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
  The pictures are of a tester that I made. As you can see it's nothing fancy, just stuff I had on hand. It was made to test a specific cable to manufacturer's specs so some modifications would be necessary for say a rudder cable. The upright channel is ground to a knife edge (#4) and a corresponding slot was cut into the angle iron cross beam using a file- the slot is centered on the beam so the dead weight is balanced. The cable end being tested passes through a slot cut into the cross beam and a cross bolt passes through the eye so it's free to pivot. That bolt fits into a hole drilled in the cross beam. It can be seen in #4. The other end is attached to the turnbuckle as shown (#3), again allowing the connection to pivot. The stress is applied by attaching appropriate weights at the correct distances- the weight shown is a lead ingot suspended with safety wire and duct tape, but I also used a bag of lead shot.

  AC43.13-1B has tables with proof test values for different cables on page 7-34.  -Bill Wade