From: Colyn Case at earthlink <colyncase@earthlink.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] FAA Swft 702 Fuel test report
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 12:59:09 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
It's worth reading the summary section on page 29.  It's only 2 pages

Highlights:
- swift fuel weighs 21% more but only increases range by 8%
- if you are weight limited for fuel you will only get 89% as much range.
- if you are gallon limited for fuel you will get 8% more range
- egt's increase by 50 dF.  On my installation that would mean having to back off the mixture an additional 50dF to keep the TIT's in range
- something about aromatics I didn't understand

Overall:
It's better than not flying but not as far or as fast as 100LL.

Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2009 4:13 PM
Subject: [LML] FAA Swft 702 Fuel test report

I found a link to a pdf of the Swift fuel test report from FAA testing done last year.  Looks like there is a heat issue ( around 50F greater than 100LL) and peak HP is about 1.3% less than 100LL.

I know very little about the chemistry behind fuels and engine design, but if more heat is generated, how come that can’t be harnessed and turned into power?

http://www.tc.faa.gov/its/worldpac/techrpt/ar0853.pdf

Kevin