From: mikeeasley <mikeeasley@aol.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: oil cooling/Vernatherm
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 07:32:47 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
The vernatherm seat can be poorly machined from the factory and that allows oil to bypass the oil cooler, reducing the oil cooler effectiveness.  Lycoming makes a special tool to hone the vernatherm seat, along with a service instruction on how to use it.

Mike Easley
Colorado Springs

In a message dated 03/12/09 17:30:45 Mountain Daylight Time, Sky2high writes:
Randy,

Oh, I forgot.  I also replaced the Vernatherm, but I don't remember technical details of the testing (a long story involving a flash fire - best told in a bar).  I believe the chamber that the Vernatherm operates in is such that, when cold, allows oil to bypass being sent to the cooler.  When hot, the extension of the device shuts the bypass opening.  Thus, if the Vernatherm does not fully extend when hot, the bypass is not sealed and uncooled oil would be returned to the system.

Here is some interesting info, click on tech data: http://www.rostravernatherm.com/oil-valves.htm

Here is a more interesting read: http://www.sacskyranch.com/eng18.htm

Scott.

In a message dated 3/12/2009 9:35:08 A.M. Central Daylight Time, randylsnarr@yahoo.com writes:

Scott,

I was thinking the same thing and am making plans to "redo" my oil cooler to cowl connection and make it nice and smooth. That will happen after I verify the vernatherm is doing what is supposed to...
I pulled out the vernatherm the other day and put it in boiling water to see what it would do.
I admit I really do not understand how it works but the spring loaded end got about 1/8" longer when going from room temp to 212 F.
Does that mean it is working?
If anyone knows if this is good or bad, please pipe in...

Thanks for the feedback!
Randy Snarr