From: Dan Schaefer <dfschaefer@usa.net>
Subject: ELT's
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 18:03:02
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Regarding Angier Ames query about ELT's.

They're all pretty good, Angier, since anything you can purchase will
probably meet the required TSO specs. If I had it to do over, I'd buy
one that uses standard alkaline "D" cells like the ACK unit. I had to
replace the pack in my Pointer Model 3000 unit just last week and in
the packaging, the manufacturer included a flyer in which they proudly
point out that their new battery now provides a higher voltage, and
thus more range, because they have changed to alkaline cells. It
appeared the pack consisted of 5 or 6 "D" cells and goes for around
$30. I know it's not a big thing, $30 every two years, but I just
have a constitutional aversion to this sort of thing if it's not
necessary. Besides, I like the idea of going to the local store and
picking up a six-pack of Bunny-batteries instead of having to go to
the local av. shop or mail order catalog.
Anyway, as the man says, "You pays your money and you takes your
choice".

Dan Schaefer

One thing to consider though
is the kind of battery pack used.