From: <flypetezacc@aol.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 19:43:25 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Hello All,

To address some of the issues presented over the last few weeks I will begin with the insurance:

Many years ago there was limited insurance available for Lancairs especially the IV's.  AIG responded to Lancairs request for insurance by requesting/demanding  standardized training.  AIG's program was created for Lancair it was not a replacement of an existing insurance program but a new one. Back in the day, the training was a collection of instructors throughout the country allegedly working from a syllabus created by the factory.  Some adhered to the syllabus, some did 20-30 landings and other CFI's flew around to get lunch with their students.  When HPAT came on board we required that we would create a standard of Checklists, Procedures, IFR checkout standards, a syllabus, SOP's for our instructors etc.  We created all of that, all instructors a CD that is copyrighted with all of the above and more.  I sent the CD with a return receipt to ensure it was received.  Those receiving training were appreciative and AIG audited the program for some time.  We also followed up with each client to discuss the training after the fact and continue to Mentor and offer assistance where able.  The program has evolved over the years.

Without our Lancair training program there would not be AIG insurance.  AIG did not want independents doing their own program, nor did London or USAIG.  We did not create that scenario it was created by the high accident rates many years ago.

The other root cause in the insurance malady is not just fatal accidents from people that have not received formal training, it's the extremely high number of claims.  Claims that are excessive for the damage done.  Planes that have been written off when they could have easily been repaired for 50k instead of a 300k write off.

The Instructor Issue:

We have had many requests from independent CFI's to join the team and in the past we have sought them out ourselves.  After long discussions and emails not all of the independent instructors were suitable for program. Some did not want to commit to flying 10+ days per month, some did not agree with standardized training and many other reasons including them not being qualified.  We look for 3 out 4 prerequisites to be met. Time in Lancairs, flight time as an instructor, time in high performance aircraft, and aerobatic experience.  There are exceptions i.e. a CFI with 500 hours given in Lancairs.  When we were short instructors it certainly was tempting to bring on an unqualified CFI but we chose not to and instead the full time CFI's flew 27 out of 30 days and we asked the part timers to fly more.

All of our instructors operate according to our standards, our standard operating procedures (Which anyone can have a copy), our checklists and reporting procedure and forms.  When I have, in the past, discovered a CFI that has not adhered to the HPAT program I have discussed the matter with the individual and if they are unwilling to operate within the standards they cannot be a part of our team.  Usually when professionals disagree with a method or practice, but 2 parties discuss the matter someone comes out with a better understanding or information.  Some dissenting instructors in the past never asked to change the syllabus, offer assistance, or discuss a difference as a professional.  It is an underlying philosophy welcoming change and improvement that makes an organization improve and evolve in the right direction. This is why we follow up with students to find out what they performed and learned during training.  All current instructors receive recurrent training and continuing education within HPAT.  For example, unusual attitude training in a high performance aircraft.

One of my comments to Lancair owners that have called me looking for training has always been to get training from a qualified CFI.  It does not have to be HPAT, if insurance is not involved which often it is not for most Lancair owners, it can be a qualified independent that has the right experience and a standard program. I have even offered them to use our FAA approved syllabus if necessary as a guide.  I also encourage them to interview their CFI and determine some basics as to their qualifications.  It amazes me every time I learn of a non-CFI teaching in a Lancair.  Not a good idea for lots of reasons.

The Syllabus:

The syllabus is not magical nor is it a root problem.  It's a lack of a syllabus, lack of adherence, lack of formal training and lack of an internal audit to assure its adherence.  We have always treated training in Lancairs like a Type rating course and not a Cirrus type program. Our syllabus has been on our web site for years and only recently have we pulled it off and now send it to each client beginning in 2009 when they register.

Our Schedule:

First, I want to thank all of those in the past that were patient while we transitioned through an extremely difficult time for HPAT, for a myriad of reasons.  We were scheduling a month out and short staffed.  That is all a thing of the past.  Glenda is full time 0800-1700 eastern M-F and reachable at 727-524-9300 as well as glenda@HP-AT.com.  If anyone has a scheduling issue in 2009 call me directly at 908-391-2001 or Peter@HP-AT.com.

LOBO:

...is not an issue... but an advocacy group for Lancair as told to me by two of their founders.  We allowed them to make an announcement at our Napa ground school.  I would not have done that if I thought it was a bad idea.  We were invited to attend a meeting with 1 months notice. A reasonable amount of time.  However, Josh and I responded as to whether the dates could be changed and neither of us received a reply.  I asked Jeff Edwards a week before for a call in phone number, in the hope I could phone in.  However my flying prevented me from calling and none of us were going to cancel our clients that were scheduled weeks prior to the meetings announcement.  Sometimes things just don't work out for the schedule.  We wanted to be there.

The root problem:

As a small number of you know I am very passionate and sincere in our quest to provide formal training to the Lancair community.  There are so many reasons why people do not get training.  From personal to...personal reasons.  I will offer this  again, if someone legitimately cannot afford training, call me directly and explain the scenario to me, there are many people that I have personally provided training for that was Pro Bono.  I am also prepared to share our Lancair cost structure with any individual and demonstrate where and why the costs are what the are.  We have overhead that is far higher than an independant instructors, we train full time, all of us work hard for our customers.  Call or email me directly for a brief discussion.

A few weeks ago we did a spin training and basic aerobatic course for 8 pilots and we charged nothing for the instruction and the 2007 Decathlon we used for the flight portion.  Why, the 8 pilots all had reasons for the no charge training and I know it will keep 8 people safer.

The root problem is getting the message out to those that think they do not need training.  43% of the accidents are people with less than 100 hours in type.  But, there is a very large number of accidents from people with 5000-20000 hours.  The ease of receiving training has never been easier I implore those that do not need training to get it anyway!

Grassroots effort. Go down the hangar row and let the lancair pilot know why its important to get training from ANY qualified instructor. help make 2009 the safest year for Lancair pilots.

Thank you,

Peter Zaccagnino
HP-AT.com, Inc
1046 River Ave