From: Thomas Low <thomas.low@sri.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Carb Heat on O-235
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 19:01:38 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

Guys

I’m curious if anyone with a carbureted Lancair is getting any significant temperature rise with crab heat.  I too see only about 10F rise, with a muff over both stacks at the crossover, and a short about 4 inch length of SCAT tube, into the air box.  I’ve tried wrapping springs around the stack to improve heat transfer, as I was concerned about steel ingestion if I used the brillo pad idea.   The heat box door is a pretty good fit in the box, and I’ve added thermocouples to several locations between the stack and carb, to better understand what’s going on.   If someone has a system that is effective in heating intake air, please post photo’s.

Thanks

Tom