From: Chuck Jensen <cjensen@dts9000.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Re: Preferred Decent Angle (LIVP) for Arrival (using Chelton)
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 19:50:23 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Lorn, easy enough to ask for a block to a lower level for descent.  If the airspace is clear, you can then descend at a more economical 300-400 fpm.  This efficiently converts potential energy (altitude) into increased speed and/or reduced power generation for the same speed.  If you are high up and do a 2000 fpm descent, you are effectively wasting most of the energy you expended climbing to the higher altitude....it's like slamming on the brakes of your car when you are doing 70 mph hour versus coasting are little cost to a lower speed---both will get you there and you'll come to a stop, but the cruise descent is much more efficient.

And, as noted, you can cancel IFR and advise that you are descending to some altitude.  ATC has their business to take care of...and we have ours.

Chuck Jensen