From: <Sky2high@aol.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Fine Wire Iridium aviation spark plugs in TSIO550?
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:18:12 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Jack,

That's interesting.  I also flew for a few years with fine wire plugs and the LASAR ignition system and had no problem with the plugs (pre 2005).  The positive (no pun intended) value of fine wires is well known.  I currently use Iridium moped plugs with the electronic ignition  I use (LSE) and the plugs are similar to fine wire because the center electrode is very fine.  They are flawless.

Thanks for the ROT on descent.

Scott Krueger AKA Grayhawk
Lancair N92EX IO320 SB 89/96
Aurora, IL (KARR)

In a message dated 11/16/2008 5:02:05 P.M. Central Standard Time, airmale4@yahoo.com writes:
Jeff,

   I flew my Mooney for 5,900 hours most of it on fine wire plugs with almost no problems.  They have had some changes in the management and the process for these plugs.  I bought fine wires for my LIV and the L360 and I have had many problems with them the first plug failed in less than 50 hours and since then I have had frequent failures including some irritating potential failures where it fails in a irregular fashion where it just intermittently misfires. We spend time trying to find the bothersome plug. On the testing machine (Champion) sometimes we could find the bad plug and sometimes not. The misfiring was intermittent enough that it either did not show up on the Ultimate EGT or just barely.
    I sent the first plug to fail (it failed completely in MEM) back to Champion in June and finally got a replacement plug in November. The time lag was irritating too. I have finally had enough and am replacing them with Massive plugs.  G&N said that they have had similar problems, I wanted to replace the plugs in the C421 with fine wire and they said that the reliability was better with the massive. Quality control seems to be poor compared to the massive plugs.

    On another issue about descents, ATC normally plans for a flight to descend along a 3 degree flight path. We used that for many successful years at the airlines including the FMS equipped aircraft. This gives a 300 foot per mile descent. If you are 100 miles out your altitude should be 30000 above the surface and your rate of descent would 1/2 of your ground speed in knots. Ex 250 kts would make a descent rate of 1250 ft/minute. This is a rule of thumb but works very well. Plus it is close to optimum efficiency, needless to say if you use fuel to gain altitude and airspeed, using the speed brakes to slow wastes efficiency. An old pilot that I flew with said to ATC 'the speed brakes are for my mistakes not for yours.' Using them without need is wasting the fuel you used to gain altitude and/or speed.  Plan your flight.

Jack Webb
L360, LIV
BSAE