From: Robert Mitchell <rmitch1@hughes.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] The FAA compromises public safety
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 19:09:41 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

It will be interesting to see the statistics evolve over the next few years as the pilots who fear losing their medicals move into sport pilot category aircraft and fly on their drivers license.  At my airport alone we have several pilots who have abandoned special issuance / reissuance of their medical certificate and are flying in sport pilot.

I haven’t seen anyone sell their Lancair yet, but, I know two pilots who have bought Jabiru’s selling their Bonanza and C-210P.

Bob Mitchell

L-320

Senior AME

Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 9:43 PM
To: lml@lancaironline.net
Subject: [LML] The FAA compromises public safety

Regards,

Bill Hannahan

To their credit aeromedical in Oklahoma City used statistical data to make the age 40 rule change based on the average person less likely to have an incapacitating event in their thirties. I can tell you the system often does work to keep some people from flying who shouldnt be for those they might bring along and those on the ground below. I would like to see how they collected the data on those accidents on pilots without their medical certificate. Accidents related to medical issues are rare and we know how the data is collected on those with medical certificates.

Thanks for the stats on the pilot group. Makes the point for everyone to have the proper training while getting the experience needed. Keep em coming. I wouldnt think of flying without recurrent proficiency training.

Matt Miriani

AME