From: Paul Lipps <elippse@sbcglobal.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Canopy gas struts
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 22:09:42 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
After being wacked for the umpteenth time by my canopy dropping shut and bruising my head, shoulder, or arm with the slightest breeze, I finally replaced the gas struts with those purchased from a local auto parts store. Here in coastal California our temperatures don't get very high, and on the cooler mornings, the struts wouldn't keep the canopy open. Once temperatures got a little higher the struts had a little more oomph! I measured the strut's force on a scale, and one was 26 lb and the other 32. I took them to the store where they measured them and looked up 40 lb struts. They ordered them out of LA and they were in the next morning. The ones I got were Turbo-Lift #819-5579. They are about 3/4" longer, and hold the canopy a little further open, but with lots more authority!