From: Steve Richard <steve@oasissolutions.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Re: Cabin interior window question
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 02:15:46 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Message
Use the window as the mold:  Tape the window and the area around the window with packing tape (Use painters tape on the window itself and then packing tape on top).  Cover the complete window because we all know that epoxy will find its way to the things you never protected.  Make bids to cover 4 inches outside of each of the 4 sided windows, cover window by 1 inch (make them extra wide to hit the curved corners).  Overlap is OK.  Wet them on the table and stick em on.   They will stay in place until cured.  Before removing them, use a marker to mark the outline of the window on the cured bids.  This is the line where your material will stop and be tucked.

I have heard of others putting some type of small bump at the windows edge of the ring to create a "clamp" that can bite into the material.  I did not do that.  The ring is basically flat.

So far, so good.

Steve

Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:38 AM
To: lml@lancaironline.net
Subject: [LML] Re: Cabin interior window question

So how do you….”Make a window ring out of fiberglass”?

What did you use for a mold, etc.??  It sounds like the ring is some kind of “U”  shape where the inside clamps the material….How did you do that?

Thanks,

Bill B

Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:05 AM
To: lml@lancaironline.net

Make a window ring out of fiberglass.

Cut the inside of the ring to windows edge.

Epoxy the outside half of the ring to the fuselage.

Lift the inside edge of the ring.  Bend the material around the edge and let the ring snap back to hold material or said another way: Stretch and tuck the material on the other inside half of the ring.

Pictures attached.  Sorry I don't have any taken during the installation.

No glue involved (with the tucking).

Steve

Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2008 7:56 PM
To: lml@lancaironline.net
Subject: [LML] Cabin interior window question

Hallo Lancair fellows! This is about the one and only Lancair IV to be built in Scandinavia. The first 50 hours test flight is soon coming to an end and now is the time to finish the cabin interior. As you might understand we dont have people in Sweden specialized in upholstery for airplanes. So I have a contact with a guy doing this for sportscars. He says the job to make a nice leather interior in my Lancair IV is no problem except for the windows. He never had such a job before to fasten a nice interior close to such a window with nothing to fasten to and to get a nice line round the window without having the possibility to screw the thing tight. Glue is the answer of course but what kind of glue for leather or vinyl to be glued to the carbon wall. Has somebody a tip how to do this? Pics would be appreciated.

Christer Wretlind

Box 29

179 03 Stenhamra

Sweden