From: Dan Schaefer <dfschaefer@usa.net>
Subject: Allied Signal, P. Cavitt's range
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 18:24:05
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Incidentally guys, speaking of the Allied Signal Y2K and the GPS
week-field problem.
Just in case anyone's interested, there's an AD out (or in the works)
regarding certain of their Transponders. The affected units are
identified by serial numbers, so you'll have to pull yours and check.
This one requires taking the unit to an appropriate shop and having
a group of components (on a small circuit module, I think) replaced.
I believe there's an allowance for labor and parts from A-S but don't
hold me to that. Apparently, some of the affected parts can get fried
and report an incorrect altitude code to ATC.

On the date coding thing with most manufacturer's GPS units, I've read
somewhere that your receiver will need nothing more than a manual
update, once, after the crucial dates pass. If the software in your
brand GPS can handle it, you're home free, at least for the receiver.
The bigger question is the satellite's s/w. Since they receive uplink
ephemeris data regularly (every orbit, I believe) the ground system
folks will probably be able to work-around the problem. Just the same,
and particularly if I was regularly shooting GPS approches, I think
I'd stay home that day.

As for P. Cavitt flying that far non-stop - if you've figured out how
to relieve oneself in a Lancair 235 - inquiring minds (attached to
tiny bladders) want to know how it's done. I've even gone so far as to
rig a venturi on the left main gear so as to provide a couple inches
of suction when the gear's down, connected to a relief tube in the
cockpit. Still pee all over myself if I try to use it - so I just land
- besides, it's an interesting way (translated: weird way) to meet
other pilots.

Cheers,

Dan Schaefer