From: Thomas Low <thomas.low@sri.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Simulators, Training and "Slow flight"
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 23:11:30 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

Before ‘dissing X-plane and Microsoft, I should have said that X-plane’s approach to aerodynamic modeling is fundamentally sound, and is actually similar in many ways to the approach used in my code.  Austin Myers, is a Columbia (Cessna) pilot, and is justifiably proud of his software.  My comments are based on my own “flight tests” of the stock aircraft provided with the simulator in which I have personal flight experience.  Yaw damping and response to rudder, ground handling and many other similar second order characteristics seemed unrealistic to me.  This is a subjective impression only.

When I was developing the aerodynamic and systems models of the Beechcraft B-58 for FAA and JAA certification, a huge effort was required to model specific idiosyncratic characteristics of the aircraft and to insure that the overall model nailed all the numbers and at the same “felt” correct to experienced B-58 pilots.  I have yet to see any general purpose simulator that can, from aircraft geometry and some looked-up values of aerodynamic coefficients,   reproduce the nuanced feel of the actual aircraft.  With enough tweaking and access to source to model some special characteristic, perhaps these commercial codes like X-plane can be used.  There is no substitute however to having a detailed understanding of the aerodynamics, tons of fight experience in type, and first-hand familiarity with every line of modeling code.

FAA certification of FTD’s and Sims has several different fidelity levels, and I am not surprised that an X-plane – based simulator could be certified, but I suspect it is to a level below what our community would need to practice to proficiency in our aircraft.

I’d like to hear from the list community which Lancair model would be most valuable to simulate?  I’ve often considered using our actual airframes as our simulator cockpits, with detachable control surface loaders and avionics stimulators to provide 100% fidelity of the cockpit environment of our individual aircraft.  Thoughts?

Tom Low