From: Mark Ravinski <mjrav@comcast.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: flying slow
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:37:54 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
People,
As a group, we have a lot in common.
Sometimes it's easy to forget that Lancairs come in different flavors.

I can fly my 360 into such a deep stall that a spin entry cannot be avoided.
The flight manual says this is acceptable and assures that this is recoverable.
It does not recommend doing spins so I have always broken any spin immediately.
The rudder has always been instantly effective and will reverse the spin direction if the stall is not also broken.

I can appreciate that there are a lot of variables involved with other pilots and individual airplanes that would influence any decision to do this.
On one end of the scale are Lancairs like mine that have been thoroughly tested in stalls and spin avoidance.
It gives me confidence that I will not likely be "out of control".

On the other end are Lancair 4 planes that have been lost in spins with highly qualified spin pilots aboard.

We all know the stakes and must make our own decisions.  It's hard to try to solve a safety problem like we have without being critical of each other.

Mark Ravinski
360  1444 lucky hours.