From: Bill Kennedy <bill_kennedy_3@hotmail.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Question for Bill Kennedy == thoughts on accidents "Flying slow is not for the uninformed, and maybe not for most"
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:37:54 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
What do I consider slow...:

Answer: I consider anything less than a clean performance, meeting or exceeding the practical test standards for a private pilot to be a wake up call. Here is the PTS for slow flight:

VIII. AREA OF OPERATION: SLOW FLIGHT AND STALLS
A. TASK: MANEUVERING DURING SLOW FLIGHT (ASEL and ASES)
REFERENCES: FAA-H-8083-3; POH/AFM.
Objective. To determine that the applicant:
1. Exhibits knowledge of the elements related to maneuvering during
slow flight.
2. Selects an entry altitude that will allow the task to be completed no
lower than 1,500 feet (460 meters) AGL.
3. Establishes and maintains an airspeed at which any further increase
in angle of attack, increase in load factor, or reduction in power,
would result in an immediate stall.
4. Accomplishes coordinated straight-and-level flight, turns, climbs, and
descents with landing gear and flap configurations specified by the
examiner.
5. Divides attention between airplane control and orientation.
6. Maintains the specified altitude, ±100 feet (30 meters); specified
heading, ±10°; airspeed, +10/−0 knots; and specified angle of bank,
±10°.

Inability to do this stuff is surely a key to our horrific accident rate. This is truly beginner stuff. If you don't have confidence doing stuff you did to get your pilots license, what kind of pilot have you become?