From: Dan Schaefer <dfschaefer@usa.net>
Subject: Heater muff, MT prop, flutter, performance
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 17:12:16
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

To Dave Jones re: heat muffs. Check out the Spruce catalog, page 231 of the '97-'98 issue. Looks like this is what you're looking for.

To Ken Harwood: your MT prop is behaving just the way I expect for mine. Since I bought mine with about 100 hours on it from someone who was upgrading to a bigger engine, I can't vouch for it's total history. Once it's back from the shop and on N235SP I'm hoping there'll be no more problems.

To Ed De Chagal & Angier Ames: If you can find him in the builder/owner list, check with Ray Willis about his experience with the subject you were talking about - he's in So. Calif.

Here's something to think about for all you flying 235's (all other models too if we all use the same flap drive relays). Coming home Sunday from the factory bash in Redmond, Jim Gates' N320JG (235 airframe w/320 engine) had the flaps "stick" in reflex right after we left our refueling stop at Sacramento. We noticed the flap breaker pop soon after the flaps hit full reflex. Resetting the breaker just resulted in the breaker clearing again. Landed at home base (Torrance, CA) in full reflex without much problem except for an unusually nose-high attitude on final (now, where in h--- did that runsay go??!!). Anyway, found that the "UP" relay had stuck, like in "welded contacts", but could be knocked loose by a sharp rap. Since the breaker didn't pop instantly after being reset, it wasn't a dead short but the more likely the jammed flap motor's stall current blowing the breaker. If you were at Redmond, you know Jim won a gift certificate for the most hours on a 235 with 700+ - so maybe these relays ought to be retired when they get that many hours on them. I AM going to take a look at whether a snubber circuit can be applied and whether it'd make enough sense to bother. Will pass on the results.

Cheers,

Dan Schaefer