From: Bill Kennedy <bill_kennedy_3@hotmail.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Just picked-up a 320 kit----
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 23:30:13 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
I spent a ton of time building the rib caps per the instructions. In addition, I'll bet if I could measure my wing thickness, I'd find that it's not 100% correct (due to the caps). I saw a comment on lml that a least one builder didn't create the caps -- he just glued the ribs to the skin. If I'd have known that before, I'd have checked it out, and perhaps skipped the caps.

This is not a suggestion, but a recommendation to check it out.

I did not like the stock fuel system. I used 3/8 lines from the wing tanks to my fuel selector then straight to the engine. My header tank is my reserve (AUX on my fuel selector). I have plenty of room for nav/com, etc. with a header tank installed. I wouldn't have gained anything by omitting the header tank.

Bill Kennedy

To: lml@lancaironline.net
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:54:40 -0400
From: marlhalbrook@yahoo.com
Subject: [LML] Just picked-up a 320 kit----

Fellers----

I' an EAA TC/FA in SW Ga (have worked on Veri's, Long's, Cozy and built a Europa, plus lots of non-composite stuff)---a buddy of mine just bought a 320/360 MkI kit that has been hidden away for years in storage.  I'm going to help him get over the learning curve hurdle in the next few months.  I've watched the Lancair from a distance, but I've not kept up with the particulars over the years.

My question---What changes, mods, etc... that have come along are considered mandatory---or, heck, even suggested?  I'm aware of the larger horiz stab and elevator (but would still like to hear real pros and cons).  What other changes are out there and what references should I look for?

His kit is a FB (I think it is a SFB)---the fuselage halves are bonded, the center section is attached, wings have been mated to the spar, top wing skins and leading edges bonded, all ribs bonded in wing (ready to add aileron controls and fuel tank "stuff"), Ailerons have ribs bonded in, almost ready to close, rudder same, horiz stab same (but is 76 inch model), fuselage belly skin installed, root close-outs done, maingear forward attach points installed(ready to cut the doors), firewall installed with all reinforcements, nose gear tunnel installed, canopy rollover installed, forward deck has been fitted---ready for header tank install.

Looking for any advice---things to look for--things to avoid.

Much thanks in advance!

Marl Halbrook
Albany, Ga
Starduster Too N88GG
BK-13005
http://websites.expercraft.com/halbrook/ (Starduster Too Recover)
"Haud vir est sapiens satis per sui (No man is wise enough by himself) Titus Maccius Plautus (254-184 BC).