From: terrence o'neill <troneill@charter.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: taxing Illinois
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:54:52 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
This is a kind of survey.
It is regarding Illinois Dept. of Revenue's apparent attempt to tax KITS long before they become 'aircraft'.  Technically, the creation of an 'aircraft', according to the FAA regs I read, occurs when an Airworthiness Inspection Certificate is awarded, making that date the Date of Manufacture... of an 'aircraft', where none existed before.

Since many, many kits NEVER become 'aircraft', for the IL Dept. of Revenue to apply 'Aircraft Use Tax' to them by pretending the KITS are 'aircraft' seems unfair, especially since if you purchase someone's KIT, the FAA Form 8050-2 Bill of Sale is required by the FAA to be modified by crossing out the word 'AIRCRAFT" and printing above/below it the word KIT ... because it is not an aircraft.

The confusion in my case (1985 kit) stems partly from the old FAA practice of letting hopeful builders request an N-number (like, more than 15 years ago) even before a project was started or a kit started. Further confusion was introduced later when the FAA began requiring KIT manufactures to apply N-numbers to sold KITS!
Logically, the Numbers  are  really issued to persons, and N-numbers are now being referenced to some project or KIT, until a project passes an Airworthiness Inspection and its builder/Manufacturer gets its Airworthiness certificate.

I'd be interested to hear the experience of anyother Illinoisan's experience buying someone's pre-numbered kit.
Terrence
L235/320 N211AL