From: <Sky2high@aol.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] 320/360 Prop Clearance
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:15:01 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Bryan,

About 8 or 9 inches with a 70.25" two-bladed Hartzell, half a fuel load with no people or baggage in the plane.  However, here are some variables to consider:

1. I maintain a 2.75" distance between the top of the nose strut flange and the bottom of the strut seal when measured in 60F to 80F ambient temperatures.

2. Some people have placed a spacer between the flange and fork in order to increase clearance (I have not).

3. I have shimmed up my engine, using 1/8" spacers, to eliminate the appearance of sag (mismatch of spinner to cowl top).  This can have the effect of raising the prop clearance by about 1/2" for each such spacer that is used.

4. If one is using TK-5s (debongers) instead of the kit standard donuts on the mains (I am), there can be a dramatic difference in the nose up angle when the plane is loaded with souls, fuel and baggage.  The TK-5s compress somewhat when under load, yielding greater prop clearance, while the donuts do not.

Scott Krueger AKA Grayhawk
Lancair N92EX IO320 SB 89/96
Aurora, IL (KARR)

Pilot not TSO'd, Certificated score only > 70%.

In a message dated 7/20/2008 5:58:42 A.M. Central Daylight Time, vonjet@gmail.com writes:
Can any of the 320/360 flyers give some input on how much ground clearance of the prop you are gettting?  Please state if your prop is 2 blade or 3 and brand along with ground clearance.  Really appreciate it.