From: Dan Schaefer <dfschaefer@usa.net>
Subject: Controller filter, Nylaflow, MT bearings
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 18:59:36
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

First, to John Cooper, I'd sure like to get more info on the noise filter for the MT controller you mentioned. I've not seen (or recognized) a problem but I'd like to have the information in my back pocket just in case. Concerning the cost of ownership of the MT prop of $1K+ per year, OK, nobody said aircraft ownership is an inexpensive hobby (or whatever it is to you) but being a Porsche and M-Benz owner for most of the last 35 years, I've gotten accustomed to what was once a synonym for quality and sound design, i.e., "Made-in-Germany". Screwed-up bearings at one-fifth the touted TBO means the engineering behind this prop in this area, stinks! And that is a sad surprise.
Second, to Ed Armstrong, I've seen a minimal chart of Nylaflow properties in the A/C Spruce catalogs.
Thanks to Guy Buchanan re: the bearing tip - but Brent is right, they're proprietary. I also agree with you guys that it'd be good if you stood right there when the prop was opened - it's just not an option for a lot of us.
Incidentally, this prop hadn't leaked at all for the first 240 hours of use so I doubt that what I saw on mine was the residual build-up stuff coming out. I sent the prop in because I thought it probably only needed the O-rings replaced. Further, the blade that leaked had almost no discernable free-play while the other blade, which was bone-dry at the hub, had maybe +/- 0.010 in. radial play. Go figure.

Cheers,

Dan Schaefer

P.S.

There was a rumor at the Redmond get-together that a California Lancair, on the way to the fly-in, had gone down. Anybody know for sure? And, if true, who it was? It's always bad to hear about such things, and particularly when it's from near home. Here's hoping it was inaccurate.

D.