From: <vtailjeff@aol.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Turn back to the Airport after engine failure
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 14:31:17 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
As of 2006, 41 of 113 Lancair serious accidents were loss of control accidents (Stall/ spin). Many of these were where the pilot attempted to turn back to the airport following a loss of power. I am not saying that turning back is or isn't a bad idea BUT it requires a lot of skill and knowledge if it to be executed well under duress. You cannot pull this out of your a___ when your belchfire belches on takeoff. Two big factors in a sucessful outcome are: altitude and training. I have said this before on this forum: Your duty as a single engine pilot in these machines on takeoff is to get to altitude as quickly as possible-- so that if the engine does stop you have an option . The value of recurrent training in these machines cannot be overstated.

Regards,

Jeff
LIVP

Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 21:52:24 -0400
From: mjrav@comcast.net

In Air Force Flight school I learned this maneuver was known as the "dead man's turn".
A couple years ago Jim Rogers died on the first flying day of his 360.  He called the tower on takeoff with problems and couldn't make it back to a runway.  He was a veteran of 13 forced landings in Nam flying helo's.
I personally witnessed a fatal crash where it was attempted by a C172 while developing full power (and inadvertent full flaps).
Does anyone know of an actual occurance of this ever being done successfully - with a real power failure?

Mark Ravinski
360     1439 hrs

=