From: Zavatson, Christopher J (US SSA) <Christopher.Zavatson@baesystems.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Fuel Testing
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 14:31:17 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
I have followed the discussion of fuel contamination, and how to detect it, with great interest, having been burned by Jet Fuel contamination once before.  A few detection methods were suggested both on-line and in the recent SA article.  I wanted to see how effective these methods really are.  Keeping in mind, of course,  that for a test to be effective it must be simple enough that pilots would be willing and able to do it at every fill-up.
 My goal was to see if low level contamination could be detected by the methods recently discussed:  Smell, feel, and evaporation on paper, etc.  Based on the fuel contamination incident in which I was involved,  it was determined that 5% jet fuel in an O360 is enough to cause serious damage, but not immediate engine failure.  12% is enough to cause engine failures on turboed or high compression engines.

I acquired my sample of Jet A from the wing of a King Air, with permission of course.  I took 100ml of 100LL and started adding Jet A.
The smell test:
Even at low levels 1-5% a faint smell of diesel or Jet A is detectable.  I am not sure however, how successful this would be without the control sample of pure Avgas.  I can see false positives when one starts to imagine faint hues of Jet fuel odor in the fuel sample that are not really there.  Pure jet fuel is very obvious, but low level contamination is not quite so obvious.
The feel test:
Here again the fine shades of grey make the transition from zero contamination to light contamination difficult to detect.  Even with a pure 100LL sample between two fingers in one hand and a mildly contaminated sample in the other, I could not tell an obvious difference.  Once again pure jet fuel is easy to detect.
The evaporation test:
I was hoping this one would be the answer and provide a black and white finding.  Unfortunately, even at 10% contamination, the sample dried completely without any visible residue.  At 100% jet fuel of course the stain was obvious.  A glimmer of hope however.  Smelling the paper after evaporation offered perhaps the best detection method.  If any Jet A was present there was a faint smell detectable, even down to 1%..  If none was present, there was no smell whatsoever, just clean paper.
FWIW

full resolution photo at:

Chris Zavatson
N91CZ