From: Dave Saylor <Dave@AirCraftersLLC.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Re: Upside Down Legacy
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 15:27:59 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Before we started selling the window kits, we confirmed with Carston Sunden the point that Rob made.  The strength of the window was not included when the fuselage was engineered.  We have not tested for an open window in flight.  The system we use to keep it closed is pretty robust, and I believe the forces on it tend to keep it closed.

Dave Saylor
AirCrafters LLC
140 Aviation Way
Watsonville, CA
831-722-9141
831-750-0284 CL
www.AirCraftersLLC.com

Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:40 PM
To: lml@lancaironline.net
Subject: [LML] Re: Upside Down Legacy

Don,

Some people have installed an openable rear window as a means of escape for an upside-down Legacy, or I suppose a non functioning canopy latch, and also easy access to the rear compartment.
The question some people see in this is what does it do to the plane structurally not having the window as part of the structure? Maybe it is not included as part of the structure?
or what are the effects of the wind on the structure if the window opens in high speed flight?

I guess you could reinforce the area around the window.

Kevin

On Apr 21, 2008, at 3:00 PM, marv@lancair.net wrote:
Posted for "don wwww" <skagitvalley@earthlink.net>:

Is it possible to get out if your upside down? I've thought about that quite
a lot. I've thought about things like a brake failure on one side, running off
the runway finding yourself upside down watching fuel running out , then to
your horror waching it turn directly towards you after finding a "nice" low
spot right under your head. (not that it would really matter, if there was
fuel running out under the plane anywhere the results would be the same) Your
laying there helpless  you've been trying to get out but you can't cause
theres too much airplane weight against the canopy. Of course thats only if
the conopy has'nt been broken & now your head and neck are the highest thing
in the forward part of the airplane. Then you hear & feeel a puff!!!!!!!  Just
like discribed with the 2 people burning. How horrible to be unhurt in a
fairly minor accident only to burn because you can't get out! Does anybody
know of  times lancairs have gotten upside down & they have gotten out? How
did they? Did they need to lift or turn the plane over? Whats the survival
rate? Do the canopys usually crush or not?    Don

--
For archives and unsub http://mail.lancaironline.net:81/lists/lml/List.html

Kevin Kossi
Legacy 76%
New York
Continental IO-550-EXP
10:1 Single Lightspeed Single Slick Mag
Hartzell  HC-H3YF-2UFX/FC7391D-3X.
Full feathering, counterweighted, 3 blade

Image
Dsc00070s.jpg
Image
Pic00004a_1.jpg