From: <rwolf99@aol.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: New builder needs 320/360 engine mount
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:06:07 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
As I understand things, these engine mounts were made by Snowline Welding (run by Mike Snow and used to be across the parking lot from Lancair).  I assume that these things are made for Lancair by Snowline, and that Snowline could make another one for you.  It's also possible that Lancair would need to provide permission, which I think would be readily available although there might be a licensing fee involved.  (They are not being cheeseballs on this.  That's how they and every other kitplane company make their money.)  Or else, just order direct from Lancair and let them pick up the phone and call Snowline...

I'd strongly recommend the long mount.  It pushes the CG forward (important with these airplanes) and also gives some extr room between the firewall and the back of the engine -- also very much appreciated.  You will also need a longer cowl, but if this is unavailable from Lancair (and that's probably the case) then the cowl you have can be readily extended, just add a 3-inch layup all around the back edge.  I have not done this but I'm sure others on this list have, and can offer advice.

As I further understand, the Dynafocal 2 mount is for the Comanche engine and the Dynafocal 1 is for any other engine.  But don't take that last statement to the bank -- verify it first.  What you have right now is totally usable but your engine choices are limited.

- Rob Wolf