From: Lorn H Olsen <lorn@dynacomm.us>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Canopy Opening Safety
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:31:50 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
I have the parallel canopy. Back in 1998, when I first purchased the airplane, I took off with all 4 of the latches open. I noticed that it sounded a little loud. When I discovered that all of the latches were open, I hooked and latched all of them. There were no control problems at all.

Seems like the parallel canopy is saver than the forward hinged canopy.

From: "lanny" <poprundell@bellsouth.net>
Date: April 18, 2008 2:27:56 AM GMT-04:00
Subject: Legacy crash - speculation

.
.
Always make sure the canopy is locked before takeoff. While the forward hinged canopy seems like the safest way to go, it may not be.  Some aircraft have forward hinged canopies and seem like the least desirable, but these are usually designed to rip off in the event it comes open.  The Glasair uses a Gull wing that is designed to rip off if it comes open.
The forward hinged canopy is not a bad design. I just has to be locked in flight.
.
.
--
Lorn H. 'Feathers' Olsen, MAA, ASMEL, ASES, Comm, Inst
DynaComm, Corp., 248-345-0500, mailto:lorn@dynacomm.us