From: Marvin Kaye <74740.231@compuserve.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <74740.231@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Writing accurate "Subjects" for our postings
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 02:24:21 -0400
To: Lancair Mail List <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posted for Greg Nelson  <gregsays@swbell.net>:

 It occurs to me that too much information is being lost in our
postings, email and archives by reason of wrong "subjects" being
assigned to our postings.  The subject is the primary means by which our
rather standard email software organizes our writings.  These software
programs also use "date" and "sender" to categorize or sort information
but each of these methods does require that we open each historic
Builder's List posting to find a particular writing that we remember
reading previously.  When the "subject" is properly stated, it will
"thread" or associate with other writings of similar topics making them
all quick and easy to reference and use.  When the subjects are vaguely
written or do not reference topics in the text, then that text may not
be readily available to future readers.

A good method of writing "Subject(s)" might be by using just one or
several words for each topic.  For example, a miscellaneous posting
might be stated thus:                    "wiring, gear, ride needed,
hysol, brakes".

The additional advantage that this method will have is that the "Find"
function of each software program will quickly  find the key words
embedded in these Subject headings--a great time savings over having to
revisit literally hundreds of postings on this Builder's List.

Marvin Kaye,  we really appreciate your considerable sacrifices in the
great undertaking of this "Builder's List".