From: Scott Dahlgren <dahlgren@itsnet.com>
Subject: brake lines, gas strut in nose gear
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 09:42:24 -0600
To: ___Lancair list <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

on brakes lines:

I wouldn't do the nylon tubing. too many bad accidents have happened to
people who have used it (you can check the accident reports on the web for
safety). it heat fatigue cycles too easily.

I received brake line from DH instruments. they looks good and have a very
high pressure rating (6000 psi). they are made of kevlar banding though, and
the DH reps said they have a use temp of 250 degrees F, which isn't much on
a brake assembly during hard braking. I am running a 9" x 1/4" 304ss line
from the brake rotor/piston to my DH flex hose to protect the hose from the
heat and tumble weeds. I wonder if that might also help protect the nylaflow
tubing ?(stainless steel has very low thermal conductivity). I had trouble
finding a ss braided high pressure hose (3000 psi) in Teflon for the brakes.
does anyone know of a manufacture out there?

also, there was some talk a while back about the bolt by the gas spring
being put in backwards and the castle nut gouging the gas spring? well, mine
was in backwards, and gouged a grove in my shock.  you might want to check
yours if you haven't already.  there have been linkage failure(s) due to
this condition. also, the old strut is too weak for the design. lancair has
upgraded to a bigger shock (I received one from Lancair - it is a stock car
shock replacement unit with bushings) . I am looking into 2 smaller half
pressure units for redundancy.

Scott Dahlgren