From: John Schroeder <jschroeder@perigee.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] 1/4 turn Camloc style fasteners
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:32:06 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Doug -

We used the fasteners on our Lancair ES cowling and did not use the reinforcing strip. So far we have not seen any cracks or elongation of the holes. We used the stainless retaining ring and the moveable receptacles (to make the stud match easily). The receptacles are also the adjustable depth kind so that the cowling can be made to be really flush.

These are the numbers:

SK213-2 Receptacle 2000 Series C
SK28S3-2S Stud, wide flange mTSO-C
2600-LW C Series Retaining Ring.

The spacing on the cowling is  4"   and the ES cowling is a lot bigger than yours.

The Skybolt people were very helpful in getting the right selection.

Hope this helps.

John

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 07:45:15 -0500, Doug <lancairav8r@gmail.com> wrote:

I bought the 1/4 turn fasteners sold as a kit for Lancairs from Skybolt
and I am working on fitting/installing the cowling on my 360. The
directions that were supplied by Skybolt are specific for the Vans
series of airplanes and they speak about a 2024 T4 reinforcing strip for
added stiffness. My question to all that have done this installation is
first of all do I need this reinforcement? We don't get the "oil
canning" typical of our aluminum friends, but with all the air loads on
the cowling I am wondering if aluminum reinforcement might be a good
thing. Is is overkill?

Secondly, what kind of spacing did you use along the sides of the
cowling. For ease of installation/removal I have elected to use these
fasteners instead of a hinge and the manual says 5" between fasteners
along the sides. Skybolt, however,  says 3 1/2". I don't want any
bulging along the sides but 3 1/2 " spacing seems pretty close.  What
has worked well for others?

Doug Waddingham
Centennial, CO

--