From: Lancair <lancair-esp@ustek.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Re: One mag, One electronic ignition
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 11:31:26 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Three years ago I designed my ES-P for a TSIO-550 with dual Lightspeed EI.  It ran fine until well lean of peak, when the engine would fart instead of fire.  Klaus changed a couple things including hardward and software and the problem went away.  Then I ran into what seemed to be occassional electrical interference problems and the engine would skip a couple firings.  It happened in bright day VFR but picturing a cold and stormy night etc. etc. etc. I reverted to one mag.

A mixed system brings up the possibility of two completely different modes of failure but reduces the likelyhood of one failure mode's creating a 3800 lb glider.  Couple months later on run-up the mag was smooth but EI test was very rough.  I pulled the cowling and found a connector to the controller had failed, shutting off the EI spark to that cylinder.  The failure had no doubt occurred during the previous flight but the mag just kept on doing its job and I did not notice the loss in power or change in temperatures.

It is possible that the second EI would have continued to operate the engine fine but having two different systems with different weak links just feels better.

Robert M. Simon
ES-P N301ES