From: Dan Schaefer <dfschaefer@usa.net>
Subject: MT Prop
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 21:53:59
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Just a note to all of you using MT props. I hope I'm not the beginning of a trend.

I have a model MTV-1-F/155-07 two-bladed, electric constant speed prop with a total of only about 250 hours on it on my L235. It's installed on my Lycoming O-235-L2C and as far as I know, it's never been overspeeded or mis-treated. (I bought it at 105 hrs since new from a friend who was going to a bigger engine).

A few weeks ago, I noticed a slight weeping of grease on one blade root next to the hub. After paying close attention for the next couple of flight hours and seeing grease after every landing, I decided to call the folks who handle these props in the USA and arrange for repair. Got a call Monday with the news that the two main bearings were shot (I'm not propeller knowegeable so I'm not sure where they serve in the mechanism) and had to be replaced. Of course he didn't have them in stock and had to have them shipped from the factory in Germany.

The basic cost of having the prop opened up to repair the grease leak was painful enough, but with the added expense of the two bearings, the total cost with shipping, etc., etc. is going to nick my wallet for about $1400!!

If we're looking at this kind of problem with an MT every 250 hours or so, I for one, am not happy - no matter the somewhat nicer takeoff performance of my Lancair. What I'm hoping is that this is just a fluke - with more than five grand tied up in this propeller (not counting the repairs) I'd like to think it would last a little longer.

As my wife's native language is German, you can be sure that Mr. MT will receive an approprialtely worded letter, in his language, asking for an explanation. If and when I get an answer, I will pass it on to the LList.

Dan Schaefer