From: Dennis Johnson <pinetownd@volcano.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Fuses vs. Breakers
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 21:18:06 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
 >> what is the reason for using breakers

>shed load... how does one do a failed hyd
>inflight gear drop test?
Well, you reach up to the instrument panel, lift the red cover guard (to the left of the landing gear lever), and flip the toggle switch off:

This removes all power to the coils for the gear up and gear down relays, shutting off power to the hydraulic pump.

In the relatively unlikely event that the main contacts for either the gear up or gear down relays weld closed, then this switch wouldn't shut off power to the pump.  In that case, I would shut off the pump by switching on the auxiliary alternator, switch on the endurance bus alternate feed, and then switch off the main alternator and master switch.  This would take slightly longer than pulling a circuit breaker and I would have to do without devices that aren't on the endurance bus, but I avoid running a high current wire to the instrument panel.  I think either approach will work fine.

Best,
Dennis Johnson
Legacy N52PT, approaching 100 hours!

PS  Since someone might want to know, my neighbor, an amateur machinist, turned the "tire" handle for the landing gear lever.  (I stole the idea from Rob's beautiful Legacy.)  I glued it on to the toggle switch's bat handle using E6000 (aka Shoe Goo), a miracle adhesive.  The red toggle switch guard was from Aircraft Spruce.
Image
hyd pump disc.JPG