From: Zavatson, Christopher J (US SSA) <Christopher.Zavatson@baesystems.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] FW: [LML] LNC2 Hyd Chirp Alternative Mousetrap
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 15:09:02 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Larry,
I considered an accumulator a few years back.  One failure mode to consider is a rupture of the diaphragm in the accumulator.  When the plane is parked, could a leak of the nitrogen sufficiently pressurize the high side to fold one of the gear legs?  A slow leak is probably not an issue, but a rupture or fast leak??   To avoid this problem I considered a homemade accumulator that has no pre-charge.  Take a spare hydraulic cylinder and compress a really stiff spring.  When the gear is down the spring is not compressed and has no stored energy with which to ruin your day.  When the gear is up, you've added a large reservoir to handle small leaks in the system.
Chris

Chris Zavatson
N91CZ
360std.