From: <marv@lancair.net>
Subject: Re: Lancair IVP (TSIO550) True Airspeed at 25k Feet?
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:20:55 -0400
To: <lml>
Posted for JIMRHER@aol.com:

 A few days ago I had one of the few flight legs with a tail wind. The
 attached picture shows me in level flight at FL 210 in smooth air. This was
from
 Lincoln, CA. to Sedona, AZ. SEZ in the lower right of the screen. Note it
shows
 308 nm to destination and it took less. I saw 344 kt GS in the decent or 395

 mph. It was a 520 nm trip that took us 1:52 hr. This screen shot shows 325
 kt GS with 73 kt. tailwind. Also, the CFS shows 256 TAS, which is corrected
for
 compressibility and Mach heating. Last year I calibrated all this but please
 note that my Round IAS gauge reads 15 kts faster because it only corrects
 for Temp at Attitude. Both are tied into the same static system. Many of
the
 speeds I hear about are from the round gauge. I also have winglets -10 kts
and
 leading edge tape which maybe costs 3 or 4 kts. The power was 30/ 2400 or
65%
 on the rich side at 24 gph. Flightaware has me down for 1:36 hr. because I
 opened the flight plan in the air and closed it to allow decent below 10K
MEA.
 The 1:52 time is from 1500 rpm up and down.

 BTW, I tried upping the power to 31/2500 or 75% rich and saw 5 kts more and

 5 gph more.

 I love to brag about the one flight out of 50 with a tailwind.

 Jim Hergert
 L4P, N6XE
 (An Sexy)
 484 hrs.