From: Bob B. <rbelshe@comcast.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Fuel transfer problem on Lancair 320
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 20:00:03 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Fuel transfer problem on Lancair 320

Not likely that both your level sensors and the sight gauge all went bad at once.

think the level switches were working normally, but the sight gauge is somehow reading low.    Sorry, I haven't been able to come up with a theory as to how that could happen in flight and be OK on the ground.

This is also consistent with pumping fuel overboard when the gauge showed only 8 gal.  If your overflow vents out the bottom, you should find fuel residue on the bottom of the fuselage all the way back to the rudder.

I don't think you can get more reliable than the system we have.   Remember all the threads about fuel probes.

Here is a picture of my sight gauge.  Note the strip behind the tube has lines which angle up to the right.   Where there is fuel in the tube, the lines appear more horizontal.  This helps find the fuel level which is at about 7.5 in this picture.  In some lighting the fuel level is more difficult to see than in this picture.

The biggest problem I have is the apparent change in header fuel quantity when the airplane is not level.

Bob Belshe
Moraga, CA
Lancair 235/320

http://home.comcast.net/~rbelshe/

Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 6:33 PM
To: lml@lancaironline.net
Subject: [LML] Fuel transfer problem on Lancair 320

Hello folks,

Once again I find myself needing your help.

I have a Lancair 320 that transfers fuel from the wings to the header tank, which has the typical sight tube to verify header quantity.  Level switches in the header tank typically turn the transfer pumps on as header fuel drops below approximately 5 gallons, and off as the fuel rises to around 8 gallons in the header.

On a long cross country flight last weekend I was distressed to observe one cycle where the pumps weren't turned on untill 3 gallons, and another cycle where they didn't turn on until 2.5 gallons.  Each time they turned off at only approximately 4.5 gallons.  That made me nervous, so I began manually transferring.  I wanted to fill the header to around 10 gallons, however I could only get 8 gallons into the header (according to the sight tube).  I figured something was wrong with my pumps, and that perhaps they were only transferring as fast as I was burning fuel.  As I was considering looking for a place to land (after about 20 minutes of transferring), I observed first my right wing, and then shortly thereafter my left wing ran out of fuel, about 2 hours early.  I figure I must have pumped 14 gallons overboard somehow, since I topped off prior to the flight and had ample fuel to complete the flight.

1.  Can anyone offer suggestions as to why my transfers are beginning at lower values suddenly?
2.  Does anyone have any thoughts as to how I could transfer fuel overboard, even though my header read at max 8 gallons? (Later, on the ground, I pumped the header up to 12 gallons without venting any fuel overboard.)

3.  Can anyone point me to a better system, perhaps with a real gage, and a more reliable (accurate) system for automatically transferring fuel?

Thanks very much,

Jim.
LNC2 N91LS, approximately 310 hrs.
KEDN