From: <Sky2high@aol.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Electrical Issue
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:47:50 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
In a message dated 10/10/2007 11:24:50 A.M. Central Daylight Time, lorn@dynacomm.ws writes:
I Purchased the BC100-1 in May of 2003. In May of 2005, I left the
master switch on for 7 days. Talk about a dead battery. In 2006 I
left the master on again until the battery was dead but it recharged
again. I am still using this same battery with a high amp Sky-Tec
starter. It still starts the plane better than the new Gill or
Concorde batteries did. I don't believe that any other battery will
put out as much power as the BC100-1 for as long a period of time.

It may help that I keep a battery tender on whenever the plane is in
my hanger.

If anyone else has a great battery, history story, please jump into
the thread.
Lorn,

I am still using a B&C battery from 1996 to occasionally start a generator.  Once every few months I throw a Battery Tender on it for a day or two.

For those that leave the Master Switch ON - At some point the voltage used to hold in the master relay will be low enough to release the relay.  Thus, the battery is not fully drained although it has been weakened by being pulled so low.  This may affect its overall life but it usually is rechargeable.

For those that leave the Essential Bus switch ON (direct from the battery) - They will note that any incandescent lights (gear down and locked) off that bus will suck the battery dry.  I have done this twice and those batteries were not recoverable although I did not try a sulphate reverser.

Scott Krueger AKA Grayhawk
Lancair N92EX IO320 SB 89/96
Aurora, IL (KARR)

Darwinian culling phrase: Watch This!