From: <Sky2high@aol.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Drag coefficient
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 23:21:59 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
In a message dated 9/30/2007 2:42:22 P.M. Central Daylight Time, elippse@sbcglobal.net writes:
I use 1.45 sq.ft. "eqivalent parasite drag area", CD=1, not to be confused with "flat plate area", CD=1.28, in my equations for my 235. I calculate induced loss separately, since this depends on air density and gross weight. The combo usually comes out to about 1.55-1.65.
Paul,

Thanks.  Here is an interesting thought series.

What does the prop add when rotating at cruise pitch?

How about the gear, if extended at 120 KIAS?

What about the coefficient of a C172 with its struts, rivet heads, wheels, etc?

What about its prop?

The reason for this line is that I believe that a "slick" airplane is more adversely affected by non-seizure engine failure with a rotating cruise prop than an already draggy commercially built spam can.

Scott Krueger AKA Grayhawk
Lancair N92EX IO320 SB 89/96
Aurora, IL (KARR)

Darwinian culling phrase: Watch This!