From: Bob Smiley <rsmiley2@centurytel.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: product liability
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 13:22:45 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

Bob Smiley said,

1. you give away all your assets to your wife before any litigous event is known;
2. you, or a shell corporation, own the plane only;
3.you or your wife do not support the plane operation and maintenance costs from your personal incomes. Maybe you can do so in terms of non-voting shares in the stock of the plane.
4. You cannot have any voting rights or any incidence of control of the plane.

so in a little more detail:

(1) give it all to your wife.   this only works in non-community property states, right?

ANSWER: Works in all states. This is a dangerous proposition in a shakey marriage as your wife can divorce you and leave you penniless.  Really requires trust; but it is a way for some doctors to protect their assets.  They generally own the car they drive and that's it.  Keeps the liability of driving and practicing medicine all tied to him.  They also carry little liability insurance and do not own any of the office equipment; etc. in their pratice.  On paper they look rather poor; but they have a large income that could be attached.  I proposed this option as a possibility but I was faceitous in making the statement.  I would not do it.  This strategy also has problems with estate taxes for high net worth individuals as estate taxes would be due when the wife dies. Under a 50-50 arrangement with  the proper trusts established; you can pass on twice as much estate value to heirs before estate taxes kick in.

(3)  how do you get money into the corporation except from your personal income, assuming such corporation produces no income?   e.g. suppose you are an employee of some other corporation that is not interested in helping you with your airplane habit.  how else do you get money in?

ANSWER:  Assume you own the plane personally.  Further assume you used your separate income say from a rental house which was given to you through inheritance from your parents or an inherited life insurance policy of your parents.  This is separate income and your wife did not have any right or previous control of the value you received and has no legal right of control or attachment.  Your job income; however, may not be considered separate income and is assumed in courts to be attachable to your spouse.  Do you and your wife file income taxes jointly or separately?  This might have a bearing on the ownership of your income. I assume that Social security may also be attached in certain situations.  Just ask some people that have gone through a divorce.  Sometimes SSI income is divided.  In a marriage; I am under the opinion that your income is considered shared income.  I may be incorrect in this matter but when you consider divorce case settlements, alimony etc. it starts to make sense.  Take for example divorced military persons required to share their retirement income from spouses that were married to them for several years during military service. Also consider the marriage partnership is a shared experience; with shared respsonsibilities.  The courts take this into consideration. Law is based on prececidence and history.

Here is the rub.  You did everything right in using your own separate income (as defined above) to purchase, build, insure, maintain and fly.  You did everything right.  Make sure you keep all documentation, receipts, cancelled checks and records to prove in court that separate income was used.  ALSO MOST IMPORTANT.  Never use any money from your wifes income. NEVER.  This will, in the courts be considered " a comingling of funds" which entitle here to a share in the ownership.  A share in the ownership in the courts also implies with it a shared responsibility or liability and control.  This is where the protection starts to break down.

Example.  You are single and own a home. You have a girlfriend that moves in with you and shares in the costs of the home, making payments on the mortgage etc.  After a few years you separate.  Courts have determined that a common law marriage exists and/or she has a right to a partial share in the home net worth even though you did not sign any documents.  The test here is the old saying; "If it walks, talks and looks like a dog; it must be a dog" applies.  You look at the face value of the situation; not the legal construction.

(4) please elaborate.   e.g. I formed an LLC of which I am the only owner and only manager.   this sounds like a complete flunk.    so who does have voting rights and control the airplane?

ANSWER:  The test for this question is: Who makes the decisions?  Who maintains the plane?  Who flies the plane? Who provides the funds?  Smart and aggressive attorneys always look beyond perceived ownership to find the real owners and controlling interests. Enuf said.

Bottom line is you cannot escape liability for your actions that cause harm or damage to other persons.  We are responsible for our actions and there are consequences.  Sure we can make it difficult for others to collect from us through LLC's, corporations etc.; but a determined foe can persistently hound us and make it very difficult and sometimes achieve sucess. There is always a price that must be paid.  I suppose that is why bankruptcy is a valid legal instrument.  It provides a means for mercy to be exercised in the legal system where justice demands to be satisfied.  The roots of this concept, justice and mercy as typified in the symbol of the balancing scale held by the woman in long robes is rooted in ancient Jewish law where we have obtained much of our western legal system laws.

SO, have fun and enjoy safe flying and realize we are all responsible for our actions.

Safe flying.

Bob Smiley

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.