From: Jeffrey Liegner, MD <liegner@earthlink.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Flap vs Aileron Edge in Level Cruise (LIVP)...Not Flush
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:13:12 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Re: [LML] Flap vs Aileron Edge in Level Cruise (LIVP)...No

        RIGHT                           LEFT

Outboard edges of ailerons seem flush with the wingtip fairing.

Again, in a neutral wings level cruise postion, no left or right turn tendency, the airlerons should be (fairly) symmetric with the airflow.  The left flap appears lower when fully retracted compared tot he right flap.  This would give extra lift on that one side, and I recall many have had a left wing heavy, which I never had.

One suggestion is to move the right one up the guide as far as it will go, and then move the left one up the same distance.  Balanced in their additional retraction.

I'm hoping to get a few knots out of the deal.  Comments?

Jeff L

Jeffrey Liegner, MD wrote:
I notice the aileron in neutral level position leaves a bit of exposed flap edge (that is, they're not perfectly flush), suggesting the flaps don't retract fully.  Needs to be studied.  In level cruise, I indicate 189-192 KIAS at 100*F LOP.  I hear faster numbers in other LIVP planes.

What's your thoughts?  CHange the rigging, pull the flap up a bit more.

Jeff L
Jeffrey-
           When you say the ailerons are neutral, are the outboard ends lined up with the wingtips and are they equal? It looks as though the LH flap may be lower than the RH. The difference may appear exaggerated by aileron deflection.
 My Navion was out of rig in that one flap was slightly lower than the other. The aileron on the side with the low flap had to be trimmed upward to compensate for the roll caused by the flap. Tracking straight also required opposite rudder to counter the drag from the opposed surfaces. Very draggy.
 -Bill Wade