From: Gary Edwards <gary21sn@hotmail.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: Canopy struts & elevator bobweight for 320
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 07:11:35 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Looks like there is a lot of confusion here with the thread respondents.  I will try to sort it out.

Bryan Wullner wrote:

What are you looking for?  The Idler Arm or the Bob Weight?

On Sep 11, 2007, at 7:34 AM, Gary Edwards wrote:

I need to replace the gas struts on my 320-style front hinge canopy, but can't find any indications on the struts of the load rating needed.  Tech support at Lancair didn't kow the answer either.  Can anyone tell me what load rating these should be?

I'm also looking for any drawings/photos of the 235/320 elevator bobweight assembly.  Again Lancair did not have any drawings for this.

Scott
L235

I just replaced a canopy strut; an original from the factory canopy kit.  The canopy was getting a bit marginal in staying opened on its own.  The old strut measured 46 pounds when pushed on some scales.  The new strut, from the factory, which is the same brand, when pushed on the scales indicated 90 pounds.  I would think, they (the parts department) could have done the same push test to get you the info.

I can send you some pics of the bob weight idler arm.  Hopefully, a builder that has one that is not installed will step up and offer to send you a pattern.  I know of 2 other builders that also need a pattern.  I believe the factory has the pre-molded lead weight.

Gary Edwards
LNC2
Medford, Oregon

I am not looking for either part.  I have them.  My response to Scott was for someone to step up with an idler arm for a pattern.

Randy wrote:

Bryan,
I have the idler arm bob weight pieces somewhere. I would have to locate them.
I have the larger tail and decided to try the airplane without the bob weight as I made some changes where the idler pivot point is which made using the bob weight difficult. I have really not thought about it since.  I have flown in several large tail airplanes and could not tell the difference.

FWIW.

Randy L. Snarr
235/320
It doesn't appear Bryan needs any of it either.  Scott is the one in need.
Gary Edwards
LNC2