From: Steve Colwell <mcmess1919@yahoo.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Density Altitude Crash
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 19:57:30 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

>Why did he take off down wind?  Is that a one way strip?

Cameron Park is down in a hole.  You can take off the other way but terrain
is higher and an immediate turn is required to avoid a steep hill.

>Also, might he have lowered the nose a bit, once airborne, to gain a couple

more knots before trying to climb?

My guess is he lifted off in ground effect, with the stall horn blareing he
did not have enough runway to abort, then added just a little elevator to
clear the hill at the end of the runway.  I understand the pilot was a
professional with many hours.

Steve