From: lanny <poprundell@bellsouth.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Re: ES Strut issues
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 23:33:32 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

Jim,

I would like to put my 2 cents in on your shimmy.  Most of my experience has been with Glasairs but the causes of shimmy are usually pretty much the same.  I have test flown 3 ES’s and experienced a shimmy with the second one.  That airplane was cured by going to a thicker more viscose strut oil.  The nose gear has a controlled leak from one side to the other side of a divider that restricts movement.  Using a heavier oil sometimes will fix it.  Vern advised me of this years ago and I simply went to a motorcycle shop and purchased 30 wt strut oil.

Your problem sound more like it is coming from the main gear.  I experienced this same type shimmy in a new Glasair SIIS-RG a couple of years ago.  It drove me up the wall.  I tried everything.  I tightened the friction clamp on the nose gear until I could hardly taxi it.  I tried more air pressure and less air pressure.  I tried forward and aft C/G solutions, etc.  It always happened when I got on the brakes and stopped when I got off.  Finally I had a good friend taxi the airplane up to about 60 knots and get on the brakes while I stood on the side of the runway with a camera.  I didn’t need the camera.  Shortly after the brakes were applied the right main gear started jumping up and down like it had a 10 pound weight tied to one side of the wheel.  I couldn’t believe it.  This was the first Glasair we had ever worked on that came from the factory with new Grove Brakes.  I called Grove and told him what had happened.  He immediately said the brakes were too small.  He sent me the proper brakes and the problem went away forever.  Turns out Glasair has sent brakes for the Glastar by mistake.  Another possibility is extreme heat caused by the closely fit wheel pants.  This would explain the warping of the disc.  I noticed the newer ES kits come with a recessed area on the inboard side of the pant for venting.

Hope this helps.

Lanny