From: Neal Garvin <nrgarvin@comcast.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] ES engine mount cracks and breaks
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:03:39 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

It looks to me like this engine mount was not stress-relieved after welding. Any 4130 weld should be stress relieved to eliminate the “brittleness” and high stresses at the weld due to the rapid cooling and localized hardening at the weld area. Engine mounts and landing gear would be critical items typically made from 4130 tubing weldaments requiring stress relieving. Stress relieving requires 4130 requires 1100 degF and slow cooling.

To determine if the mount was stress relieved, take some hardness strikes (readings) at the weld area and then several more ½” apart for several inches from the weld. The hardness profile would show higher readings right near the weld.

-Neal Garvin

Glasair SIIS-RG

Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2007 5:36 PM
To: lml@lancaironline.net
Subject: [LML] ES engine mount cracks and breaks

Here’s a note from Lon Kelley regarding his ES motor mount issues. I hope these pictures will encourage you all to examine closely … very closely … your motor mount. Personally I don’t see how there wasn’t a very serious accident because of this problem … Lon and Pam were just plain lucky.

Jim Nordin