From: Chatfield S. Daniel <csdaniel@FNBSouth.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Re: high oil temps
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:05:40 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

Mike,

I just had a very interesting conversation with Paul, the owner of Aero-Classics.  I asked him about the “N” and “G” cooler situation and gave him the part numbers.  He said the 654585 cooler and the 658580 coolers are virtually identical.  He said the only real difference is the vernathem, but the two should perform identically.  He also said the Aero Classic cooler was an exact copy of the TCM cooler.  After I discussed everything that with him that has been mentioned in this thread, he said if I insisted, he would take my money and send me a new cooler, but he thought is was a waist of time.  He also recommended, like TCM has that if my temps didn’t go above 220 that I should be happy and fly my plane.

Chat Daniel

Super ES N891AC

Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2007 11:15 AM
To: lml@lancaironline.net
Subject: [LML] Re: high oil temps

Art,

If the vernatherm seat is not smooth, the oil will bypass the cooling fins and return to the engine.  Interestingly, TCM says that 2/3 contact is adequate but I don't believe it.  If you remove the vernatherm you can see the wear pattern on the end and see if you have 360 degree contact.  Lycoming actually has an SB and a tool for reworking the vernatherm seat but I've never been able to locate the SB or the tool.  TCM recommended milling down the vernatherm washer to about half its thickness to seat the vernatherm a little deeper and, in theory, close it earlier and maybe a little tighter but I don't know of anybody who's tried to do that.

TCM's willingness to work on the problem is minimal, exchanged coolers have been sent out, but no real answers.  I worked with another ES guy who was running hot and got an exchange cooler from TCM.  We sent the hot running cooler to a testing lab and had it performance tested (as a favor) but never got the results back.  Now that this discussion is happening again, I'll try to contact the engineer.

If I were to replace my cooler, I'd contact Pacific Oil Cooler and order a "G" cooler, TCM part# 654580, Aero-Classics part# 4000440.  They've already told me they would accept an "N" cooler for the core.  Much cheaper, and in my opinion better made, than the factory cooler.

Yes, Karen and I are heading for Fredericksburg, not sure what day, probably Thursday.