From: Colyn Case on earthlink <colyncase@earthlink.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: fallability in the digital age
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:14:37 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Brent,
    thanks for the interesting and informative post.

    I have to disagree that you would emit detailed terrain for lack of processing resources.  At this point, the amount of 3d processing power available in a single chip is huge.  (disclaimer: I'm a chip architect for nVidia)  The chips we are currently making are designed to render each presented frame multiple times for special effects, and we do this at large screen sizes at 100+ fps in benchmark conditions.   Managing 60fps for typical cockpit screen resolutions is not really a challenge anymore.   Granted the host cpu and storage required to make it look pretty are non-trivial.
    The second point you make, about confusing the pilot with something that might look like a symbol seems to imply that vfr pilots would be the most confused of all.   ....and yes that happens.
    So I think it's going to happen and someone will do a decent job of it.

    Notwithstanding, I have one column of vac powered gyros and one column of electric powered gyros, for now.

Colyn